About Me

My photo
"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things."

Monday, October 10, 2011

just another day in paradise


A week at the beach.

Sanya, the Hawaii of China! I miss it already!

It all started with a sleeper bus. After class on Friday we headed straight to the bus station. We came prepared for our 18 hour journey to Sanya with snacks, books, cards, and slpeeping pills. On the road again! Can't wait to get on the road again! Sanya, here we come! We stole the beds in the back of the bus. That was the best idea ever! I was sooo comfortable, which is really surprising. China is dirty. And so are the busses. Ew. But nontheless, I might have had the best sleep on this bus since I've been in China.
We spent hours playing cards.
The cutest kid ever was right in front of us. He was pretty entertaining. =]
Ugh! Hahah, this picture definitely needs an explanation. Ok, so at around 8 or 9 we took some sleeping pills and snuggled up in our icky beds and were soon sound asleep. The bus stopped at about 10:30 for a potty break and they made us all wake up and get off the bus. I don't really remember much of this haha. But we got back on the bus and got right back to our delightful slumber. Midnight rolled around and the bus stopped again! And of course they made us all get off. At this point we were way out of it and did not want to be conscious. Before we knew it we were being herded into a security check point... We had no idea what was going on. And some of us might have started to get just a little worried hahaha. Our bus started driving away and then all of a sudden we were on a boat! Whaaat? Wait, we're going to an island and we're not driving all the way there? Haha I don't know what we were thinking. We were just so confused and worried. Just imagine 4 drugged up white girls on a boat in China not speaking much Chinese yelling "Where are you taking us?! "What's happening?!" "My scriptures are still on the bus!" Hahah I'm glad we can laugh about it now. Luckily, we hunted down a girl who spoke some english and she told us what was going on. So we found some benches and passed out. Looks so comfy huh? Haha me and Bridget look like dead bodies.
Wowww we look so happy! That was a long four hour boat ride...And we were thankful to get back on our stinky bus and doze off. The rest of bus ride went by pretty fast.
We finally got to Sanya on Saturday morning. This is Joe, the owner of the hostel we stayed at. He's pretty awesome. He picked us up at the bus station and brought us to the "hostel." It definitely wasn't what we were expecting, or what the pictures looked like. We were at a fancy apartment complex. Waaait... Yeah, we were confused too. We had a beautiful 2 bedroom apartment on the 12th floor, with a real toilet. It seemed super sketchy at first. Way too good to be true! This was the cheapest hostel that Anna could find in Sanya! And we have our own apartment?! Hahah okay, if you say so Joe! We headed straight for the beach! Ah, it was lovely. We spent most of our days just chillin by the ocean, being beach bums. Livin' the life. I LOVE CHINA!
Flip flops on the beach.



Toes in the sand.

My white skin got so burnt! But now I'm tan =]

paradise!

There were thousands of these awesome seashells scattered all over the beach outside of our apartment. I spent a whole day just wandering and collecting pretty shells.

There's definitely an abundance of pearls in Sanya. Little old ladies walk up and down the beaches with baskets full of pearls selling them to people like me. I got this pretty pearl ring for about 75 cents.





My seashell art.
After getting so sunburnt I had to buy a cute floppy hat of course.

Oh, the food! Sooo good! We found this little alley with tons of street food and at the very end was this awesome fruit drink place. Strawberry and mango smoothie, yummy! I'm pretty sure we went to the alley at least once everyday.

Delicious noodles for breakfast. I was lured in by a picture of a waffle but when I pointed to it the little old lady just shook her head and offered me some noodles. They were better than a waffle would have been anyways.

perfect vacation

Our happy little familly. Bridget, me, Mandy, and Anna.

Bridget builing a sandcastle. Seriously the cutest picture ever.

Mandy modeling

Mandy and Anna playing in the ocean. Crazy girls. Playing in the waves was tons of fun.

barefoot on the beach

I had so much fun photographing on the beach. And I took way too many pictures. I guess I always do though.





Coconut!

haha oh boy. Ok so, in China you can get your hair washed in a salon for 15 yuan or about 2 dollars. Why would you ever do that, right? No, it's so awesome! They wash your hair a couple of times while massaging your head and neck and shoulders for like an hour and then they massage your arms and hands and back and then they style your hair! It's the coolest thing ever for 2 dollars! It was really rainy and depressing in Sanya this day. Oh yeah, there was a typhoon the day defore we got there. I almost forgot that little fact. None of our plans were working out at all, so of course we got our hair washed to cheer us up! We found a cute little salon in the ghetto with some fun hairstyler guys. Oh gosh, the guy that washed my hair was so adorable and funny. I was laughing pretty much the whole time, especially when he randomly looked at me while he was massaging my hand and said "I love you." Hahah I love chinese people.

We met a girl from Paris who was staying at the same hostel as us and so she took us and her friend to a bar where she was meeting some other people from England. I guess this place was where all the white people hang out. There was even a guy from Idaho and a guy from Missouri! It was so fun. They had awesome Mexican food too! I was one happy girl! My day went from bad to good. Rain, sliced toe, no scuba diving, ruined plans, and not having my shoe size. Just give me a burrito and I'm good to go! Haha but seriously, it was really good. I also played foosball with a french guy against Anna and a guy from England and we kicked their butts! Fun night.


Our last day in Sanya was gorgeous! The sun must have came out just for us. We spent the day on the beach of course, swimming, napping, and soaking up the sun.

For our farewell dinner we decided to go to an itilian restaurant, Casa Mia. It was the best thing. Ever.

Delicious pizza. I'm drooling.

Best pasta ever.

Sunset in Sanya. I'm going to be daydreaming about this place until our next vacation: Beijing!

No comments:

Post a Comment